If you are renovating your bathroom, the shower enclosure will likely be part of the renovation. You will need to consider the size of your bathroom, the space available for the shower and the style of your bathroom when you’re deciding on the enclosure. In the past ten years, the glass industry has slowly introduced heavy glass doors which are completely frameless. As with many parts of the renovation the shower enclosure you consider will have advantages and disadvantages.
Pros of Frameless Shower Enclosures & Doors
1. Frameless showers are more modern. Everyone wants their bathroom to look modern. You can create that look with a frameless shower enclosure. These enclosures are sleeker and make a bathroom look modern as soon as they are installed. Frameless enclosures also create the illusion of more space. This can be great in smaller spaces.
2. Multiple design possibilities of frameless shower enclosures. Metal and rubber framed shower enclosures don’t offer many design options. They come in standard sizes that cannot be customized. You are limited to the sizes available whether you choose a swinging door or a sliding door. Frameless enclosures can come in any size you like and can be customized to fit any unique dimensions in your bathroom. This allows you to create the shower you want rather than work around a set sizes of traditional enclosures.
3. No more metal and rubber shower frames. Your current shower enclosure probably has a metal and rubber frame the surrounds the glass. This design holds the door in place and works just fine, but more and more homeowners are deciding to go with a frameless enclosure. Frameless glass shower enclosures don’t use any metal or rubber around the glass. These enclosures are held in place with metal pivot hinges instead and makes for a cleaner and sleeker look.
4. Frameless showers are easier to clean. Metal and rubber enclosures can be difficult to clean because the bottom of the frame collects water that provides a place for mold and mildew to grow. You will be using a mold-minimizing cleaner and a lot more than with a frameless enclosure. There are not a lot of places for mold and mildew to grow on a sheet of glass and the enclosure can be kept clean by simply wiping it down.
5. Frameless showers are more durable. Traditional framed enclosures are not as durable as frameless ones and don’t have components that are vulnerable to wear and tear. You can expect a high-quality frameless glass enclosure to last much longer than a framed shower enclosure.
Cons of Frameless Showers
With all the advantages that come with frameless shower enclosures come some possible drawbacks. These enclosures will cost several hundred dollars more and you may experience leaking. These drawbacks are easily avoided by purchasing high-quality glass and having it installed by professionals. The extra cost will be well worth it. A frameless enclosure looks better and will last longer than framed doors.
Custom Shower Enclosures & More in Martinsburg, WV, Round Hill, VA, Gaithersburg, Maryland, Greater Eastern Panhandle Areas including Berkeley & Jefferson Counties, West Virginia
Custom shower enclosures require a great level of expertise and precision. Each door is truly a work of art that will be designed to reflect your personal wants and needs. Contact the professionals at ANE Glass & Mirror when you’re ready to remodel your bathroom.